BECOME A PARENT GOVERNOR
We are looking for parents to join our Academy Council. Governors play a key role in raising school standards and monitoring performance. They hold senior leadership to account and make important decisions covering issues such as policy making, site management, the school’s budget and the curriculum. Governors support the school in a variety of ways including attending Academy Council meetings. It is a very important and worthwhile role!
Being a governor is an enormously challenging and rewarding opportunity. The personal benefits can be summarised as:
- a sense of satisfaction through knowing children will benefit from your efforts
- the opportunity to develop new skills and to strengthen existing ones
- the opportunity to work with people from a variety of social, cultural and religious backgrounds
- the opportunity to gain understanding in key areas such as safeguarding, finance, personnel, and strategic planning
- the opportunity to gain awareness of the education system as a whole
What commitment is required?
- Accepting office as a Foundation Governor involves the commitment of time and energy;
- There is a need to actively be involved in the work of the Academy Council, and accept a fair share of responsibilities, including service on committees and/or working groups, interview and exclusion panels;
- Every effort should be made to attend all meetings;
- There is a need to get to know the school well and respond to opportunities to be involved in school activities;
- Visiting the school is important in order to monitor and understand the work taking place in school.
The Academy Council has undertaken a skills audit and has established that it would be desirable for a new governor to possess skills/experience relating to HR and Finance. Please be aware however, that it is not essential that you have these skills in order to become a Parent Governor.
Training and support is available for new and existing governors and is free of charge. There would be an expectation for governors to attend training to develop their skills to support the work of the Academy Council.
School Governors serve for a four-year term of office. However, should your circumstances change, as a volunteer, you can resign at any time.
The average time commitment could be around 10-15 hours per term (3 terms per year). This includes attending meetings, background reading and school visits.
Interested? Ask at reception for details and a nomination form or contact Jenny Doherty at: email@example.com or 01977 691027
The closing date for this round of nominations is Friday 23rd April 2021
Find out more about school governors at: