Patrick O’Grady was born at Emly, Co Tipperary, on the 10th July 1914. He worked in several parishes in the Leeds Diocese until 1951. He was one of the first Parish Priests to be appointed by Bishop Heenan.
In 1957, he was appointed to be Parish Priest of St. John the Baptist, Normanton, where he was to remain for the next twenty-five years. Canon O’Grady was highly respected by the people of his parish who recognised his constant care for their welfare in every way. He attached particular importance to the provision of high quality Catholic education, and was most diligent in ascertaining that this was available to the children of this area.
His health declined in his last few months and he died peacefully in St Gemma’s Hospice on the 17th July 1982.