Topics studied include:
- Cell biology and biological molecules
- DNA and Genetics
- Organ systems and exchange
- Energy transfers in and between organisms(A level only)
- How organisms respond to changes in their internal and external environment (A level only)
- Genetics, populations, evolution and ecosystems (A level only)
- The control of gene expression (A level only)
Location: St. Wilfrid's Sixth Form College
Course Level: Entry
Duration: 2 Years
5 good GCSE’s. You must have at least a grade 5 in GCSE Dual Award Science/Biology, and ideally a grade 6 in Maths.
Paper 1 and Paper 2 will be internally assessed exams sat in the summer of Year 12.
Paper 1, Paper 2 and Paper 3 will be sat in the summer of Year 13 (your A level grade will be determined solely from these exams).
In addition, you will complete 12 required practical’s throughout the 2 year course.
A level Biology opens the door to many careers. A number of our past students have progressed to study science based courses at University, and have found successful careers within the medical profession, pharmaceutical industry, teaching and as research scientists at various academic institutions. A level Biology is a well respected course by Universities and also amongst employers, and when combined with another science A level subject, offers a variety of options for entry to further education.