Year 8 Guided Pathways
The 2018/2019 Guided Pathways Booklet can be accessed here: Guided Pathways Booklet 2019
In Years 9, 10 and 11 students will follow six core subjects and are guided to study up to four others from a wide variety of subjects that are accredited through GCSE and Technical Awards.
Religious Education, English Language and English Literature, Mathematics and combined sciences are core subjects. Students are asked to express a preference to study four additional subjects. Students will be required to express a preference to study at least one of: French; Spanish; Geography; History; or Triple Science.
By constantly seeking ways to raise achievement, we have developed a curriculum where the needs of every student are addressed. Students should use their latest assessment sheets to support the identification of subject preferences. Following the Guided Pathways Evening students should access the SIMS options website with parents to enter their preferences. Opportunities will be provided for students to access the SIMS options website at school. Four preferences should be entered and three reserve subjects. We are guiding students to express preferences to continue to study a broad and balanced curriculum:
- A modern foreign language i.e. French or Spanish
- A humanity i.e. Geography or History
- An art/creative/performance subject
- A technical/science subject
- In identifying preferences, students should consider the subjects where they are making good progress and those subjects where they are meeting at least their expected standard. They should remember to also consider those subjects that are related and require similar skills.